Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tomb Raider Underworld: Further Rants

I've calmed down considerably since I completed the game last night, and obviously my mind has been assimilating the whole experience:

  • Where were the boss battles? Every TR has them, it was odd that they weren't present.
  • Why can't you re-watch cut-scenes?
  • What is the point of the option to select your weapon at the beginning of the level, and then allow you to change it anyway from your backpack?
  • Where happened to the classic outfit? I'm not one for playing dress-up, but that was a fundamental omission from the costumes.
  • The last weapon that you pick up (I won't reveal here what it is, I don't want to spoil it). It makes all the other weapons you have totally obsolete. You won't want to use anything else.
  • This one is not directed at TRU particularly, but at what point did 'concept artwork' become an unlockable. Does it serve any purpose at all, except for the studio waving it's wang around saying 'Ooh look, we employ concept artists'? Big deal, give me something I can use in the game next time.
  • Why do we need the idiot symbols that hover over ever the screen every time you can do something. One or twice is fine, but I don't need the bloody [] symbol appearing when I can use the grapple. FFS let me figure it out on my own. Similarly with the triangle and the treasures. Why go to the trouble of hiding them in bushes etc., when all you need to do to find them is walk along and watch for the triangle symbol appearing. Ooh look I can do something, I wonder what it is?
  • EDIT: Just found the option to turn this off. Why isn't it off by default, is the assumption that it's far too difficult without it. Or is this one of those options that's set by the choice of difficulty when you start the game. The one there's no mention of what the settings actually do

The unfortunate thing about this game is that on the whole I actually quite enjoyed it. The abrupt ending left a really bad taste that soured the whole experience. What I can't understand is why the game was in development for over 18 months?
Reading the forums about the game it seems that I'm not the only one who is seriously narked about it, and many people are moaning about total system locks when playing the PS3 version. I experienced one myself, but damn, that's going some to crash a console, I don't think I've ever had a console crash before.
Given what I know now about the game there's no way I'd have shelled out 40 quid for it. It was certainly no better than Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, although it was about twice the length, so I'd guess that £25 would have been a fair price for it. Of course Crystal Dynamics could totally redeem themselves with some killer DLC, but it looks like that's going to be XBox only, so PS3 owners consider yourselves shafted.

No comments:

Post a Comment